George Parroco of PSHS Batch 73 posted this on our Facebook group.  The thread started off with Shamcey Supsup being an Architecture student.  UP College of Architecture Dean (from 2007 to 2010) Jose Danilo Silvestre (PSHS 74) jumped in to say that Shamcey was his student.  Then it went on about going back to architecture as I related my lifelong dream of being an architect.  "It's never too late to go back" was the sum total of Dean Silvestre's word.

Then George posts this:

We have a batchmate Norman Herrera whose son Luis didnt enter PSHS. But Luis went to UPLB. He was kicked out due to low grades for being to happy go lucky guy. He went back and finished the 4 years course in 7 years. He took the Agri Board and very rare will a UPLB student top the Agri Board, usually only 6 among the top ten but not Number 1. But Luis Herrera TOPPED the Board this year!!!! And here is his speech during the oathtaking.....its not about the academic stuff he emphasized , but the service to the people he wanted to pursue. Read on........

Good afternoon, everyone.

Let us start off by expressing our gratitude to our parents, / family members, and friends / the very reason we are here today.I would like to congratulate everyone for a job well done. / I know we all worked hard for this.I would like to thank the members of the board, / the officers of PAA, / the officers and staff of PRC for another successful year and for organizing this wonderful event.

Ako po ay nagagalak na makasama kayo ngayong hapon.

Simula ng lumabas and resulta, maraming nagtatanong kung sino si Manolo Luis Herrera ng UPLB? / Cum laude ba sya? / Ako ba daw ay may malawak na karanasan na sa agrikultura? / At sa mga malalapit sa akin, tinatanung nila kung san ko nakuha and old exam. / At ng dahil daw sa akin, gagawin ng essay type ang board exam sa susunod na taon upang maiwasan na ang tsamba (…)

Ngayong hapon gusto ko lang linawin na ako po ay hindi nagtapos na cum laude. / Sa katunayan, dalawang beses na po akong nasipa sa UP dahil sa mabababang grado, / una nung 2005 at ikalawa nuong 2008.

Sa UP, ang pinakamataas na grado ay uno; / bagsak ay singko; / at, ang pasado ay tres. / Ang kabuuang grado ko po nung kolehiyo ay 3.4. / Na ang ibig sabihin, pagtapak ko palang sa klase ay siguradong di nako pasado sa unang subok. / Wala pa po akong nababalitaang mas mababa pa roon (…)

I know, I am not what you are expecting. / I am definitely not your definition of a person who can do such feat.

Habang sinusulat ko ito, nagiisip ako ng mga magagandang dahilan kung bakit nangyaring tumagal ako sa kolehiyo. / Ako ba ay masyadong natuwa sa aking kalayaan bilang isang estudyante na malayo sa gabay ng magulang? / Ako ba ay masyadong naapektuhan sa mga karamdaman nila? / Masydo ba ako naimpluwensayahan ng kabarkada at masasamang bisyo? / Hindi ba ako interisado sa kurso o sa mismong pagaaral? / O di kaya’y, masyadong nabagabag sa mga bigong pag-ibig? (…)

Looking back, I cannot put a finger on one significant reason. / It was a little bit of everything. / Admittedly, I allowed myself to get beaten by what life threw at me. / I have simply given up everytime.

Pagkatapos masipa sa pangalawang pagkakataon nuong 2008, / naisipan ko munang magtrabaho ng kung anu-ano at kung saan-saan. / Hanggat napadpad ako sa Occidental Mindoro at naatasang mamahala ng isang rancho at gulayan sa tulong ng isang kamag-anak.

Doon, naging saksi ako sa totoong sitwasyon ng agrikultura sa bansa, / partikular na sa buhay ng ating mga kababayang magsasaka.

These local farmers, who remained good friends of mine to this day, believed in me. / They trusted my ability to lead them, / to nurture them, / and to provide a stable livelihood for them and their families. / They don’t care where I came from; / they don’t care what my grades were; / and, they don’t even care if I have graduated or not. / They simply relied on the hope that I can make a significant difference in their lives and, consequently, to the community.

During these times, I started during wondering why a third of the population involved in agriculture is one of the poorest in the nation. / They feed the country, but they can hardly feed themselves. / And believe me, these are the most hardworking, / skillful, / and honest individuals you can ever find. / Individuals who deserve our utmost attention.

Armed with a newfound passion in agriculture and a vision for a greater cause, / I decided to return to UP and try to finish my degree.

Marahil lahat napo ng batikos ay natanggap ko na mula sa matataas na opisyal ng unibersidad. / May nagsabing dapat nung bata palang daw ako ay humanap nako ng malilipatang iskwelahan. / Na sinasayang ko lang ang pera ng bayan. / May nagsabing, hindi ko kaya ang antas ng edukasyon na binibigay ng unibersidad at marahil hindi ko na kailangang pilitin pa.

Although a bit harsh, / I find these criticisms well-founded and fair; as I do acknowledge my shortcomings. / They were simply guided by reason and logic.

Sa awa ng Dios at tuwa ng aking mga magulang, / ako po ay pinayagang makapagaral uli at natapos ko ang aking kurso nung marso.

When I was decided to take the board exam, I have this lingering and powerful prayer in my heart / -- that may the Lord put me here before you, / and for a moment be part of your lives, so that I can share my story.

I badly wanted to be here. / I wanted to be here to reaffirm a self-evident truth: / that every person has the ability to shape his future regardless of his preexisting condition; / to never subscribe to the idea that you are a failure, whatever or whoever the source may be; / to never let your personal tragedies, / frustrations, / fears, and insecurities limit your ability to achieve your dreams.

I do not stand here as first among you, but as an ordinary person who finally tried his best.

This afternoon is not about me, but for all the people who never ceased to believe in human potential. / Not because he/she is a relative / or a good friend, / but because it is the right thing to do as decent human beings.
I would like to personally thank my parents (Norman, Primitiva, and Lola). / No words can describe their love for their family. / Their unyielding strength and endurance have sustained our family through the difficult years. / May I be able to imitate your example someday.
To the lovely Ann Vagilidad, who serves as my inspiration and for constantly bringing out the best in me.
To the legendary Dr. Elipidio M Agbisit Jr., / my adviser since my freshman year, / thank you for your words of wisdom. / This person does not know how to quit on anyone. / May he continue to mentor countless others.
To Sir Williams, who has never been my professor but came up to me one day and convinced me to finish my studies. / His own life is a testament of overcoming great obstacles.

Ladies and gentlemen, when times get tougher for others, do we still find time to inspire them or are we instruments of cynicism and doubt? / Do we feed his dreams or would we rather shatter his will? / Do we patiently expand our sense of understanding or would we rather judge immediately which seems to be much easier to do?

Naging adik napo ang lipunan natin sa pagsukat ng kakayahan ng isang tao base sa kanyang resume. / Nakatapos ba sya? / Saang iskwelahan ba sya nakapagtapos? / Anung grado nya nung kolehiyo? / Nakapasa ba sya ng board exam? / Ito naman po ay di masama bagkus ay nararapat pa nga -- ang problema lang ay kung ito na ang batayan kahalagahan nya. / Lalo na kung dito na natin isaalangalang ang kanyang mga pangarap. / Lagi po sana nating tatandaan na kailanman ay hindi nito kayang sukatin ang puso ninuman.

In this room, I see future leaders, / consummate entrepreneurs / and brilliant innovators in our field. / And for some, life may not be so kind. / But wherever we may be from this junction in our lives /…in the end, we will be judged on how we approach life / and how we treat people. / And those are the choices we can always make.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the afternoon.